Head of Satellites and Mission
Sapienza is recruiting a Head of Satellites and Mission to be based in Australia. Our clients’ mission is to Connect Everything using cutting-edge communications and space technologies to enable the next industrial revolution.
As Head of Satellites and Mission you will be leading a team of engineers charged with the development of our next generation satellite constellation. You will need to have experience in satellite system engineering integration, satellite communication payloads, and Ground Station
Network management preferably for small satellites and using software-defined systems. Excellent collaboration and leadership skills, along with a positive attitude are critical.
Responsibilities of the Head of Satellites and Mission
- Develop and maintain relationships with satellite manufacturers and launch providers.
- Work closely with Lead Payload Engineer for communication payload integration.
- Support to platform subsystems, payload instruments, on-board software management, satellite simulator and ground segment operations interfaces.
- Provide detailed reports of progress with technical evaluation of risk and impact.
- Identify and elevate technical and programmatic challenges.
- Develop short term and long-term constellation roll-out.
- Spacecraft operations engineering for Low Earth Orbit (LEO).
- Demonstrated experience in satellite performance monitoring and reporting aspects including anomaly analysis and solving in liaison with satellite industry, procedure change control and configuration management processes.
- Experience in the operation or development of satellite ground segment facilities
Profile of the Head of Satellites and Mission
- Masters or PhD Engineering degree or related discipline.
Preferred Skills & Experience
- Experience in an agile start-up environment.
- Direct experience in satellite, ground or communications operations.
- Direct experience with architecture and requirements development I system engineering.
- Experience leading or managing teams.
- Expertise in LEO satellites system.
- Effective interpersonal and team-building skills, to engage at both the engineer and management levels to build confidence and collaboration.
- Early stage design, specification and testing/verification of spacecraft communications payloads and their associated ground segment for the End Users and ground stations.
- Experience resolving satellite and ground station anomalies (an advantage).
- Sort through complex issues, regulate elevation accordingly.
- Experience working with relevant space industry standards and quality environments.
- Knowledge in designing systems to accommodate customers and financial requirements.
- Experience in multiple areas of mission systems engineering is highly desired.
- Analyse a broad array of technical information and identify salient points is highly desired.
- Demonstrated ability to perform independent analysis and prepare and present clear and concise technical reports is highly desired.
- System engineering process, including: document relationships, functional concepts, key interfaces, performance relationships, test sufficiency
- Must be available to work extended hours and weekends as needed
For information on how we process the personal data in your application, please see the Sapienza Privacy Statement here.