GNC Systems Engineer (ESA-ESTEC)
Sapienza Consulting is recruiting a GNC Systems Engineer to Support the ESTEC GNC Section for the development of space transportation GNC systems. This comprises of flight vehicles ranging from Expandable Launchers, Reusable Launch Vehicles RLV’s as well as Ascenders and Landers for Exploration applications.
Responsibilities of the GNC Systems Engineer
- Address the multi-disciplinary/physics and high-fidelity End to End vehicle dynamics modelling with implementation in 6DoF simulation environments (Matlab, Simulink, DSpace).
- Provide daily support and independent expert analyses shall be provided to the development of ongoing and future ascender and descender systems including micro-launchers, re-entry systems, re-usable VTVL Systems in atmospheric and orbital flight on current ESA Simulation and Verification Platforms.
- Specific GNC design tasks shall include detailed flight mechanics, environment, aero-dynamics, structures, propulsion, actuator and sensor system modelling.
- The post holder shall perform system sizing, requirements capture, architecture conception, advanced GNC design as well as performance and SW validation analyses.
- Support shall be given to the conception of new Mission Vehicle and Flight Management (MVMS) Systems towards incremental Flight Autonomy.
- The MVMS architectures shall include Advanced Monitoring and Reconfiguration Systems (FDIR) as well as state-of the art Flight SW based on Robust Adaptable Control & Real-Time Optimised Guidance Strategies.
- New efficient validation Advanced Analysis Tools must be mastered to drastically improve the gaps and shortcomings of current validation approaches.
- The post holder shall provide regular Technical Reporting of the GNC Design and Analysis as well as contribute in the preparation and execution of project and technology studies reviews.
Profile of the GNC Systems Engineer
- Master’s Degree in Engineering
- At least 4 years of relevant work experience
- Proven experience in the design, tuning, analysis and simulation of GNC systems in different project phases.
- A track record in the design of classical space transportation GNC systems including Thrust Vector Control/Attitude Control Systems.
- Mastering of advanced multivariable GNC design and verification approaches for the stability and performance robustness analysis is a prerequisite.
- Proven knowledge of modern control design methods, commercial model-based design tools (MATLAB).
- Experience with rapid-prototyping of hardware-in-the-loop systems.
- Ability to interface with industry
- Fluent in English; knowledge of another ESA member-state language is an asset
- Candidates must be eligible to work in the EU
For information on how we process the personal data in your application, please see the Sapienza Privacy Statement here.