Frequency Management Engineer (ESA-ESTEC)
Sapienza Consulting is recruiting a Frequency Management Engineer to join the Future Missions Earth Observation Technology division at ESA-ESTEC.
You will be responsible to providing support to technology developments, and general coordination for technology for the future Earth Observation missions.
The Technology Coordination and Frequency Management Section is responsible for two main tasks:
- The identification of technology requirements, providing support to technology developments, and general coordination for technology for future (EO) Earth Observation missions. A solid collaboration with the other divisions in the EO directorate and ESA’s Technical directorate is essential for this work.
- The analysis and monitoring of the evolution of frequency needs for EO missions, including early concepts and potential interference conflicts with other communication services sharing the spectrum. The nature of the work requires a solid collaboration with other sections/divisions in the EOP directorate, with the ESA Frequency Management Office and with representatives from industry and from other space agencies.
Responsibilities of the Frequency Management Engineer:
- Analysing requirements and constraints of EO missions under preparation with respect to frequency allocation and interference
- Providing specific support to preparatory activities and to projects to an extent to be determined case-by-case
- Monitoring the evolving frequency needs of future EO missions, including early concepts, and potential conflicts with competing areas
- Participating in the work of technical committees relevant for EO in the framework of the International Telecommunication Union (ITU), the European Conference of Postal & Telecommunications Administrations (CEPT) and the Space Frequency Coordination Group (SFGG)
- Conducting studies to support the ESA position in the above-mentioned committees
- Performing technical studies and analyses related to frequency spectrum management and interference assessment
- Developing and using RFI simulation software tools (typically based on STK, Excel with VBA and Matlab), to conduct sharing bands and compatibility analysis between services, in line with ITU recommendations
- Reporting on frequency management matters and contributing to reports to Delegate Bodies
- Coordinating with the ESA Frequency Management Office
The principle tasks in the area of EO Technology Development will include:
- Supporting the identification of the technology requirements for future Earth observations missions
- Supporting missions under preparation through, e.g. participation to reviews, assessment of
industrial results, evaluation of proposals in reply to calls
Profile of the Frequency Management Engineer:
- Master’s Degree in Electrical/Electronics/Telecom Engineering
- At least 4 years of relevant work experience
- Background and experience in satellite systems, space projects and associated sub-system
- Experience with simulation tools, including Matlab, Excel with VBA and STK
- Experience in microwave remote sensing techniques used in Earth Observation missions.
- Knowledge of Radio Regulations
- This position requires regular travelling to participate to frequency management international fora,
technical committees and working groups (e.g. ITU WRC, CEPT, SFCG).
- Teamwork and Good communication skills
- Ability to conduct research autonomously
- Fluent in English; knowledge of another ESA member-state language is an asset
Candidates must be eligible to work in the EU
For information on how we process the personal data in your application, please see the Sapienza Privacy Statement here.