Sapienza is recruiting a self-directed and experienced controller to oversee all accounting activities. The successful candidate will be responsible for budget management, payroll, forecasting, accounts payable, accounts receivable, and financial reporting. This is a fantastic opportunity for a professional who thrives in a busy workplace and is comfortable working closely with senior management.
The ideal candidate will have ability to perform in a dynamic environment with occasional time-pressures, while remaining flexible, proactive, resourceful and efficient. He/she will often work independently with little or no supervision; at other times will collaborate with CEO, COO, CFO, legal and HR leads.
Responsibilities of the Financial Controller
- Participate in the development of and support the company’s strategic plans
- Monitor the financial performance of the company and communicate key performance Indicators (KPIs) and financial metrics to senior management as required.
- Prepare monthly, quarterly and annual financial statements in compliance with GAAP; perform accounting research as needed to Interpret, and Implement, accounting standards
- Prepare financial reports providing performance measurement to the appropriate reporting organization level of the business.
- Manage the month-end close function, including review of journal entries, balance sheet reconciliations, accruals maintenance of company chart accounts, bank reconciliations
- Maintain the accounting general ledger
- Calculate and record stock-based compensation expense and equity transactions; prepare related reports and reconciliations
- Review invoices, prepare checks for signature, and manage reconciliation of A/R and A/P sub-ledgers.
- Manage employee travel expense reporting and reimbursements
- Support the development of monthly and annual operating budgets by the CFO and CEO; prepare related monthly variance reports
- Support senior management’s ability to measure performance against annual organizational objectives that support the long-range operating plan.
- Develop and manage financial controls in accordance with the company’s procedures.
- Manage the accounting function and manage compliance with appropriate reporting requirements associated with the monthly, quarterly and annual financial statements and financial controls, processes and tools.
- Develop and implement an agile, cost effective and evolving set of financial systems infrastructure to support the growth of the business from a small start-up with more than a dozen employees to a much larger firm. Manage the proper functioning of the accounting systems and provide maintenance and backup of financial records.
- Ensure timely and accurate filing of federal, state and local taxes. Review all month-end closing activities including general ledger accounts, balance sheet accounts and indirect expense allocations.
- Responsible for weekly cash management, accounts payable, and employee payroll processes.
- Responsible for the accounts receivable and payable processes and provide recommendations on billing and collections processes.
- Establish and administer internal control policies, procedures and processes
- The ability to work closely with legal department and/ or CFO to prepare contracts, and other legal documents
- Support a risk and opportunity process that produces risk mitigation plans and opportunity capture plans that ensures the business growth potential is achieved.
Profile of the Financial Controller
- Bachelor’s Degree in Accounting or CPA required
- 5 to 10 years’ accounting experience
- Experience with start-up venture environment strongly preferred
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills
- Impeccable analytical and organization skills
- High Integrity and discretion given access to firm wide compensation and equity arrangements
- Self-motivated and self-directed
- Leadership – Displays passion and optimism; inspires respect and trust; mobilizes others to fulfill the vision; provides vision and inspiration to peers and subordinates.
- Ethics – Treats people with respect; keeps commitments; inspires the trust of others; works with integrity and ethics; upholds organizational values.
- Problem Solving – Identifies and resolves problems in a timely manner; gathers and analyzes information skillfully; develops alternative solutions; works well in group problem solving situations; uses reason even when dealing with emotional topics.
- Adaptability and Agility – Adapts to changes in the work environment; manages competing demands; changes approach or method to best fit the situation; able to deal with frequent change, delays, or unexpected events.
- Must be eligible to work in the USA
For information on how we process the personal data in your application, please see the Sapienza Privacy Statement here.